Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Hunt!

The hardest part of this whole ordeal, I think, is going to be nailing down a job and getting my work permit in place. The fact that I'm going down and will have the chance to meet employers face-to-face and do a practical helps me, but I'm worried it will be difficult as I'm not going to be moving for another few months after that. "Hey, I want to show you how awesome I am in the hopes that you'll have a job for me in the very near future!" I'm just trying to keep my chin up and trust that everything will work out.

The BVI has very stringent work laws. If not, they'd just have people move there to bum on the beach. So as a foreigner coming to live and work on their beautiful island I have to obtain a work permit that is quite pricey and kind of a hassle to get. Luckily, as an employee my employer should pay for my permit and get all the ducks in a row there. I just can't be on island until they have the permit in their hands. I'm also lucky that I have someone (my boss) that has lived and worked there and knows the process, so it won't be as unknown for me.

Please take comfort that I will not just be moving there with no gig and no plan. I have to have a job before I go, or I'll get stuck on St. Thomas and sent back to WA.

SOOOOO! The first bit of job excitement is that I heard back from Sole Day Spa (where the eff is the accent mark? There should be one over the "e". Gah.) yesterday, and the owner definitely wants to meet with me in October but would like to Skype with me sooner! Woo! This is the spa that my boss worked at and helped to open, and she was extremely excited to hear that I had not only contacted them but that they got back to me so fast. Jenni would just die if I worked there. It'd be very cool. Sole is a small day spa, unlike the other places I'm sending my resume to (big, giant resorts), but it's the place all the locals go and it's right in the heart of Road Town. It'd be a GREAT gig, and I could always work there a few days a week and a few days a week at a resort. The owner seems very nice and I'm looking forward to "meeting" her via Skype.

Also, I just want to point out that today is my Failiversary. I would have been married 4 years today. I will be officially divorced for one year as of Saturday. I have, for the most part, grieved that relationship but I still feel that twinge of pain in my heart. However, if it weren't for that massive upset in my life I wouldn't be pursuing this amazing opportunity. Gotta look for the silver lining, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment